life lately, according to these pictures…
Hello everyone and Happy New Year! I hope that you all had a warm holiday season and that you’ve started 2014 feeling completely and open to absorb in all things the next coming months has to offer. Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about resolutions and had myriad of them on my list, but suddenly I’ve decided to abandon it. I respect those who carve out their “buckets” but this year, I decided to just go with the flow and let the pressure wear off me all throughout the year. But by means of doing that, I am not letting go of my goals and ambitions of course! Those things are nice and drive me to venture out and discover nice things that inspire me to become a better person and change some of what I have to on the other side. Since I have none of my New Year’s resolutions to share to you, I think sharing your personal goals, dreams, and as well as fears with others make yourself more accountable—so I want to share a few things I’m keeping for 2014…
1. Splurge more on nice pairs of shoes. Mom always asks me why I need a new pair of shoes even though I still have another ones which are in good condition. She’ll say, “Why can’t you have just one?” As we know, different shoes serve different purposes—therefore, we need at least a few to cover various occasions, as well as complement the outfit we wear. Last holiday, I’ve added to my collection this studded high-cut sneakers from Black Human which I find versatile and easy matching with my favorite denim.
2. Take more pictures. Since I’ve recently had my new phone with a camera just a little quite good than my old phone’s, I told myself to take more pictures, really a lot of pictures. I know it gets harder and harder to keep up with, but I think gathering photos as you take them is really helpful and has been key for me. The result is virtual memento you’ll have forever.
3. Family comes first. I wasn’t such a family boy, but my priorities and perspective definitely changed last year for the better. I had a lot of new factors on my plate, finally being established with our family’s state, and simply just changing and growing on my own. And I made myself more productive, happier, and more content than I was before.
4. Surround self with inspiring people. At some point in your life, you feel like you have enough friends and don’t need any more social obligations to add to your tasks-to-do. But when someone new comes along who gives you encouragement or inspiration in some way, they are worth making time on. It is true that connections to others really make the world go around!
5. Find joy in the simple things. While I still have a hard time not being busy particularly at maximizing my job as the in-charge in the family, I’ve learned to appreciate little things a little more. I discovered that happiness doesn’t come from the things you want or what you have to do. Happiness comes from the little things you usually do, you only just need to improve yourself at appreciating each and every little moments you have with your loved ones, friends, and other people. The best memories come often from the everyday.
6. Put some smile here and there, and just be happy. Oh man, being serious sometimes really kills me. But I always remind myself on just being positive and put a smile on the face (and in mind and in heart) and just believe. I am thinking more and more lately about the importance of being happy—how you really have to be happy in your heart and with yourself and in your skin and well, just honestly happy. I usually stop trying to fit the form that others want me to be and instead, work at being truly 100% true to self. Although I’m content with what I have now, I don’t stop venturing out searching for that happiness. You know, journey doesn’t just stop there. Sometimes you have to sacrifice or spend some time exclusively for yourself looking for the parts of you missing. I think to be honestly happy is what we should really put focus on, because when you gained that thing, it’ll suddenly turn into long-term joy.
The year 2013 is by far the most amazing and wonderful year in my life that has come to pass—and that many more ahead I sense! How about you? Do you have any resolutions starting to work on this year? Or just stick on the same process as like what I have? I’d love to hear! Send me your comments via Twitter by tweeting to @ohohadriel.